I highly dislike going to conference. I dislike it so much that I would rather be in labor. I figure since we are no where near it in the year I'll ruffle the least amount of feathers. Now before some of you get all huffy please consider my points. The people who seem to loooove conference, at least in my generation, fall into the following categories:
1. They went to Bethel camp almost every year as a kid.
2. They attended RBC at one point in their life.
3. They are a pastors kid and they've been going forever.
Oh, yeah and those who fall into all three categories tend to love it the most. Do any of you notice any trends in the categories? How many people go to conference to meet new people? Hardly anyone. Almost everyone wants to see people they already know that they don't get to see very often. How is a person that doesn't hardly know anyone supposed to compete with that? I'm pretty sure every conference I've ever attended I've cried, and yes that includes this past conference in Rosedale. It is so annoying when people find out who my brothers are and then they look at me like, "I never knew they had a younger sister. " I had someone ask me this year (I knew who she was) how long I had been going to LCF/Shalom. UM only since I was born. One year when conference was in Kidron it really bothered me that the few people I did know said hi maybe once, but were more concerned with talking to their long lost friends. I know some of you are probably yelling at the screen right now, but next time you are at conference please be considerate of those who don't know many people that well. Show a little love.
4 comments:
1) I hated it as a kid/teen because I didn't feel 'Mennonite' enough to fit in...and didn't know anybody. 2) After attending RBC as a student, I went just to see my friends. 3) While and after working at RBC, it became a promotional/work conference. Plus I now know or am known by too many people and I hate trying to make pleasant small talk all the time. 4) Can't say it's my favorite event ever either. Thanks for sharing.
Nice Kara. Anger, accusations, and controversy all in one post. Who said your blog was boring?
Bethel Campers? Do they still exist? I thought Choral Camp was taking over the world.
I always liked Conference. It was fun to try and wear shorts at inappropriate times.
Who says I was yelling at the screen? :) (I kinda/sorta know how you feel 'cause at Wissler family get togethers I'm a total misfit.)
1) I actually never went to Bethel camp as a kid and Shaun definitely has a point about Choral camp.
2) I did go to RBC.
3) I am a pastor's kid, but I can't help that.
4) I do love conference, but I can totally see where you are coming from.
5) I wish your experience was different.
I've been to those wissler family gatherings. YOU feel like a misfit!! At least you're related.
I digress...
Conference.
I used to dislike it. I did not have good experiences with mennonites from around here. Bethel camp was fun, but only when I got there and could hang out with my indiana buddies. The Drive was torture with the clicky Ohio kids. If I remember correctly, you went to bethel camp one year and had an awful experience. I'm sorry for that.
Now that I have done the Madrigal, Awkwachink, Lived at Rosedale for a while, Married a RBCer, and became a pastor, conference is fun, but then I always love a crowd. I run into people that I have shared experiences with. That doesn't excuse us from excluding outsiders, which to me is almost the common sin of mennonitedom. We must have our little club.
Truly? The main function of Conference is to provide a framework for the conference leaders to meet. Since they all bring their families, and local churches host it, it has turned into a big event. Because it is really geared toward a certain group (the leaders and pastors) it will always be a little exclusive. If you tell me that you don't want to come to conference, I am not going to twist your arm. We'll come over and watch survivor with you and watch our kids beat each other up and start our own little club:)
Post a Comment